A mature fellow, with a hankering for control over my own computing.
I've admired Linux over the years, but have only just moved my main box over.
Desktop: Mint 19 Cinnamon
Laptop: Mint 18 MATE
Old Laptop: Bodhi 4
Previously bewitched by OpenSUSE, Peppermint, Porteus, Lubuntu, Linux Lite.
Simplicity, Choice, Freedom and Control - along with Ethical, Sustainable computing all figure into my love for Linux.
For those interested in hosting gemini content on plan9, I recently worked on a small program to generate atom feeds fit for gemini's CAPCOM aggregator. You can find it here: https://git.sr.ht/~moody/atom/
A look at /e/OS on the FairPhone 3 - a FOSS OS for phones https://share.tube/videos/watch/ef3e5eec-27aa-45c8-b87b-64a57fc6e176
The richest one percent of the world are responsible for more than twice as much carbon pollution as the poorest half of humanity.
Guess which activity accounts for the largest share of the emissions of the rich?
Announced gmni here:
Don't Do Complex #Folder Hierarchies - They Don't Work and This Is Why and What to Do Instead
I've been working really hard the past couple of weeks building a new stats system for my web game Improbable Island.
It's a text adventure at https://www.improbableisland.com, there's a lively roleplaying community, player-owned places (with a programming engine!), hundreds of pages of story and no ads/tracking/nastystuff. We've had problems getting new players 'cause the places we used to advertise are all going offline, so if y'all could help me out with a boost that'd be much appreciated
I see that more and more (climate) activist groups are using #Telegram. I worry about this. Please read why:
- Telegram groups are not end-to-end encrypted.
- Meta-data: Telegram can see who are a group member.
- Although they say the messages are encrypted on their servers (with a home-made encryption protocol), they are the ones having the keys, so in theory they can also see what’s said in the group.
- There are examples of groups that were deleted by Telegram. Although these where ISIS and criminal groups, remember that Telegram has the power to do this.
- You can only sign-up with your phone number.
- Only the Telegram clients (apps) are open source, not the code they use on their servers.
- Telegram is founded, owned and funded by the Russian billionaire Pavel Durov. Although he’s anti-Putin, he’s a (American style) libertarian and of course a capitalist.
Please find something better folks!
Back on the job/gig hunt again. If anyone had need for a purple team dude specializing in WiFi hacking, and endpoint/threathunting... I’m all ears!
Also, I am equipped and prepared to do contract work through my company if that is what you need too. Please boost the signal and help me put kids through college. :)
The Social Dilemma - Netflix: https://discursive.adamprocter.co.uk/2020/09/15/the-social-dilemma.html
[Work in progress/pre-alpha/dragons, etc.] Just got transparent persistence working on WhatDB? – the tiny, in-memory, write-on-update database I’m building for simple server-side data in Site.js.
If you want to poke around, here it is:
Next: get full test coverage before implementing the querying mechanism :) Quite enjoying this. (But have to keep reminding myself to do the minimum I need for Small Web as there are other things to build too.)